7.08.2012

Amsterdam

Out of all the cities we went to Amsterdam is the one I could see myself living in the most. I want to not have a car and ride my bike everywhere. I would fit in with the thousands of other bikes. Did you know that on average there are four bikes to every one person in the Netherlands??? 

One of the things I was most looking forward to seeing was the Anne Frank house. When I was in third grade I read her diary and did a report on her. Since then I have always talked about going to Amsterdam and seeing her house. History is my passion and World War II, especially the holocaust is top on my interest list. There is so much holocaust history in Amsterdam with the german occupation and famous victims such as Anne Frank. Audrey Hepburn grew up in Amsterdam at the same time as Anne Frank and was affected in many ways by the war. She helped with the resistance and at one time hid in a crate for a month to avoid being arrested by the Nazis when they found her helping.  

We also went to the Van Gogh museum and one of the girls from Colorado saw Lea Michelle there, I probably saw her but it didn't even register. How frustrating! Oh well! The other funny thing about that museum is I was most excited to see was Starry Night and it turned out it was in the Metropolitan in New York City. I have been there and when thinking about it I remember seeing Starry Night.

The man at the cheese and clog farm we visited were hilarious which made that experience amazing and authentic to the Netherlands. We took a boat through the canals which gave me a deeper understanding of how Amsterdam is set up. I can't wait to return!


No comments:

Post a Comment